Physical disk to kvm broke my partitions?

NoviceMox

Aug 16, 2020
I recently moved my 4tb ext4 hdd from my previous server setup and wanted to mount it to my vm in proxmox. I followed the guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm and everything worked at first until I rebooted. On reboot I no longer have my original partitions which was /sdb1 700G and /sdb2 3T. I shutdown the server and reattached my hard drive to my old server and now I get this when typing "fdisk -l".

Screenshot from 2020-08-16 13-05-46.png
and this is the output when I do "lsblk"
Screenshot from 2020-08-16 13-10-57.png
If I try to "mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/Files" I get the error "unknown file system type ' LVM2_member' "
Not sure if my data is still on my drive or not or how do I go about remounting this drive? Hopefully I provided enough information

Last edited:
Hi,

As it looks like the sdb3 is a LVM.
you can't mount an LVM.
I guess you like to mount the lv "vm-ubuntu--lv"?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!