pfSense (OpenVPN) KVM : network problems

XZed

Sep 20, 2009
Hello,

I just want to know if someone managed to have OpenVPN (in pfSense) working on a Proxmox KVM ?

The symptom : OpenVPN client connects but the network traffic never is routed (traceroute stops to OpenVPN server IP).

I checked many times all the config and it really seems being a low-level problem between proxmox and kvm net cards...

It seems being possible on Proxmox container ( http://wiki.openvz.org/VPN ) but i really want it working on KVM :

* Is it possible (if yes, how did you do ?) ?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

You can't run pfSense as container, it's FreeBSD. I'm using pfSense, I can try running OpenVPN when I get back from work and check it.

I have multiple pfsense installations running OpenVPN without issue under KVM.

Are you using e1000 network drivers?

Can you get the config working on a physical host?

You can't run pfSense as container, it's FreeBSD. I'm using pfSense, I can try running OpenVPN when I get back from work and check it.

I was exactly thinking about it (freebsd) once my post submitted :p !

Thank you very much for your tests.

I have multiple pfsense installations running OpenVPN without issue under KVM.

Are you using e1000 network drivers?

Can you get the config working on a physical host?

I use to setup with e1000 network drivers but i'll check it once more and tell you.

I'm actually setting up a physical host and intend to restore the previous config to compare it. I'll tell you the results.

Thank you

Well, i'm sorry for all this mess...

Indeed, as adviced, i setup a physical host with the same config than kvm has..

It didn't work...

Until finding that the sysadmin has mailed me wrong ip adresses (already used but not responding to ping...)...:(

So i suppose KVM was working right but i'm too tired to retry now to setup again the KVM :p...

Next time, will try it !

Thanks again

I can confirm that pfSense with OpenVPN is working in KVM.
We have here 1 VM wich runs pfSense and VPN stable since over a half year, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask me ;).

I can confirm that pfSense with OpenVPN is working in KVM.
We have here 1 VM wich runs pfSense and VPN stable since over a half year, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask me ;).

Well, thank you very much for your support :p !

I think, in next days, i'll have the opportunity to install one more...

WIll feedback here as soon as installed :p

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!