I will like to use pfSense with one NIC and have this config

I am currently using Unraid and passign trought 2 eth ports
Code:
                       +--------+                
       +-------+       |        |            
       |  PC1 |--------+ LAN    |         +--------------------+              
       +-------|       |        |         |                        
       +-------|       |         ---------+ LAN Unraid         |            
       |  PC2 |--------+ LAN    |         |                    |                    
       +-------+       |        |         |      UNRAID VM     |                    
                       |        |         |                        |                  
                       |        |         |                    |                    
                       |        |---------| VM LAN eth0 Passtrough|                    
                       |        |         |                    |                    
                       +--------+         |                    |  
                                             |                    |
         Internet(spectrum) --------------+ VM WAN eth1 Passtrough (mac xx:yy:zz:...)
                                             +--------------------|

Internet(spectrum)

Code:
                       +--------+                 
       +-------+       |        |             
       |  PC1 |--------+ LAN    |         +--------------------+               
       +-------|       |        |   LAN   |                    |                         
       +-------|       |         ---------+                    |             
       |  PC2 |--------+ LAN    |         |                    |                     
       +-------+       |        |         |      PFSENSE VM    |                     
                       |        |         |     in Proxmox     |                   
      +----------------+VLAN111 |         |                    |                     
Internet(spectrum)     |        |         |                    |                       
                       +--------+         +--------------------|

I've tried to set it up with just configuring:
vtnet.111 for the WAN
vtnet for LAN

however it does not work

I think since I need to add a MAC address to the WAN connection.

What is the simpliest way ofhaving a WAN with a different MAC using one NIC?

Last edited:
you create on the host interface 2 vlan ports. Then u create for both a separate bridge without vlan awareness.
to the pfsense vm u connect 1 interface to every bridge.

What is the simpliest way ofhaving a WAN with a different MAC using one NIC?

in pfSense you modify the MAC of the parent interface, it will propagate to all assigned child VLAN interfaces. You can't change the MAC of a VLAN interface by itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!