pfsense on Proxmox v6.1

sergio_33

May 7, 2020
I installed pfsense on proxmox and have pfsense working. I will like to now changed Proxmox to be only access from NIC 2 and not from NIC 1.
I only has 2 NIC. How can I get this done???

Please post more information (e.g. /etc/network/interfaces, the /etc/pve/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf of your pfSense VM, maybe ip a output, etc...).

In general, making your PVE instance available only through a pfSense VM that's hosted on there is a recipe for trouble, since you won't be able to remotely fix any issues with your VM if it ever happens to crash. Physical access is a must for such a configuration.

Reactions: sergio_33
Here you go...
Thanks

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp18s0 inet manual

iface enp19s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.133.17/24
gateway 192.168.133.1
bridge-ports enp18s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports enp19s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
/etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf

bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 2
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: PFsense
net0: virtio=9A:32:00:01:02:03,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
net1: e1000=EA:A4:00:01:02:03,bridge=vmbr1
numa: 0
ostype: other

I'm still not fully clear what your intention is, but if you only want PVE to be reachable via the pfSense, just remove the IP from vmbr0? You can for example add an IP to vmbr1 to have access from your local network as a fallback.

E.g. just move the 'address' and 'gateway' blocks to vmbr1, or change it via the GUI.

Reactions: sergio_33
I am doing this on my home LAB for security troubleshooting and learning purposes. (my hobby)
I do have my pfsense running separate.
Thank you for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!