pfSense I have gateway status unknown, unplug/replug the cable to get WAN working.

ke5han

May 5, 2020
I recently gave my home server an overhaul and changed the hypervisor from ESXI 6 to Proxmox 6.1. The pfSense was working fine on the original setup, there was no problem getting the public IP from my cable modem (in bridge mode).

After all the works, the same hardware and same pfSense version (2.4.5), but every time when I reboot the Proxmox server/pfSense VM, the gateway will have RTT pending and status UNKNOW.

Sometimes the WAN interface actually has the public IP assigned but there is no Internet connection for the LAN and the status of the gateway is still UNKNOWN.

In my original setup, the pfSense is updated over the years to the newest 2.4.5, in the new setup, the pfSense 2.4.5 is freshly installed.

pfSense log has Sendto Error 65
the NIC is am using is an Intel PT 1000, and I tried every possible driver in Proxmox VM setting

appreciate any inputs, thanks.

Hi,

please use the virtio nic and disable hardware offloading.

Hi,

please use the virtio nic and disable hardware offloading.

tried but still doesn't work, I have to passthrough the NIC to the firewall, and now the problem seems solved.
Still can't think of where the problem is, as the same problems happens on both pfSense and OPNsense.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!