Permission denied From Clean start?!!!!

mattman110

Renowned Member
Jun 15, 2014
so brand new clean install and i am trying to change things ip address hostname, and then make a cluster but i keep getting permission denied when i try to edit something either local or remote through putty!

can someone please help as this is real annoying
i have searched the forum and only found similar issues when a cluster exist but this is a clean out the box install

login as: root
root@192.168.10.26's password:
Linux proxmox 2.6.32-29-pve #1 SMP Thu Apr 24 10:03:02 CEST 2014 x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sun Jun 15 19:38:55 2014 from 192.168.10.9
root@proxmox:~# /etc/hostname
-bash: /etc/hostname: Permission denied
root@proxmox:~#

root@proxmox:~# /etc/network/interfaces
-bash: /etc/network/interfaces: Permission denied
root@proxmox:~#

thanks mattman110

Last edited:
That can happen when you try to run a file as an application.

You need to use an application like nano to edit the file. Just calling the file will cause the Permission Denied error as bash is trying to run it as an executable, and it doesn't have the executable bit set in permissions.

well im trying to edit with the text editor include with proxmox

Based on your previous post your syntax/command is incorrect. How are you trying to edit them with the built in text editor? . What text editor are you trying to use? Your command indicates that you are not using any editor at all.

YES im a SUPER NOOB

needs nano in front of it.

in just been reading the commands in the forum and not realizing they they need a (program) to run under Ie sub commands

other than typing help is there a proper list of commands and there functions and full options?

It's a Debian system. Most info you find on Debian could apply here. The question is why you are modifying these options? If possible it would be better to modify these from the webgui

#stayparanoid

do you mean the web portal, i did not relies you could change the machine name from there

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!