Performance on an Intel Celeron and an Athlon 3000G

zingytomato

Sep 27, 2021
As the title suggests, I am looking to buy either a nuc with that celeron or building a pc with the athlon 3000g. I am planning to run maybe 2-3 vm's (Ubuntu server, debian)
. How would the performance be for each?

. How would the performance be for each?
Intel Celeron... not much data on it. Whitch one exactly? 2 or 4 threads?
For performance check overall benchmarks. I guess we won't predict exact performance on your specific needs. VM OS is one thing. What will it run is another...

I'd go 4-thread celeron I suppose. BTW: double check supported virtualization protocols. I'd go intel...
PS. How 'bout considering 4-core cpu (pentium) instead?

Intel Celeron... not much data on it. Whitch one exactly? 2 or 4 threads?
For performance check overall benchmarks. I guess we won't predict exact performance on your specific needs. VM OS is one thing. What will it run is another...

I'd go 4-thread celeron I suppose. BTW: double check supported virtualization protocols. I'd go intel...
PS. How 'bout considering 4-core cpu (pentium) instead?
Sorry forgot to mention the exact model. Its an Intel Celeron J4005

What's the main purpose for your build? Is it just a homelab or what?
In both cases... why not a refurbished one like
-Lenovo M72e
-Lenovo M93p
-MINI HP Elite 8300 USDT
-Dell OptiPlex 3010
and so on... plenty too choose from.

Or anything with i5-2500s like cpu (4 core). I suppose this old 2nd gen will work way better than both celeron/athlon you've posted. Obviously virtualization supported.

What's the main purpose for your build? Is it just a homelab or what?
In both cases... why not a refurbished one like
-Lenovo M72e
-Lenovo M93p
-MINI HP Elite 8300 USDT
-Dell OptiPlex 3010
and so on... plenty too choose from.

Or anything with i5-2500s like cpu (4 core). I suppose this old 2nd gen will work way better than both celeron/athlon you've posted. Obviously virtualization supported.
Yeah it's just a homelab nothing too serious. Just found an intel nuc with a 4 core pentium silver j5005, 8gb of memory and a 240gb ssd. I think that sounds good

Last edited:
Yeah it's just a homelab nothing too serious. Just found an intel nuc with a 4 core pentium silver j5005, 8gb of memory and a 240gb ssd. I think that sounds good
I think it will do just fine (at least for lightweight VMs/CTs)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!