Performance on 1150 and 1151v1

bvrulez

Jan 13, 2022
I am running Proxmox on 1150 and 1151 motherboards (because I had them).

The 1151 I run with an i5 6500 CPU with 24 GB RAM. It is a Shuttle Barebone from 2015. I am connecting via RDP and use an Nvidia GT 710 as PCI passthrough device. I only have one VM so far, running Windows 10.

I am wondering why the feeling is so laggy. I am glad I can run Android Studio with the Emulator, but editing files there has some noticeable lag. The emulator comes up faster on the newer board, but interacting with it is still very unresponsive. Also, the CPU is at 100% and the GPU 14% at peaks, mostly 5%.

Running a Youtube video in HD (1080p) makes the CPU go between 40 and 50, occationally 60% while the GPU is at 20% but can go to 50% when the video is showing action.

In summary, the video can be watched, but it is not an awesome experience.

I wonder if this is really only due to my older sockets and CPUs. I read about people doing Gaming on Proxmox-Servers. I am not necessarily trying to do this, but I wonder if an upgrade to a later socket might bring a huge difference.

Also, of course, this was only with one user logged in an only one VM. The Windows guest has 12 GB RAM and 4 cores assigned. Vt-d is enabled and working (I am passing through the GPU).

My guess would be that RDP does not use the GPU and that's why video and such are slow. It has to draw each image and send it over the network. Try watching the same video from a display connected to the GT 710?

Thanks for the reply! I will try. But if it is more performant when watching from a physical monitor attached to the GPU, would there be any way to change the RDP setup so the GPU will be used more efficiently?

If it is the RDP,then I think not, but maybe someone else knows what you can tune in RDP.
Maybe using something else like Parsec or Steam Link might be better for low-latency fast moving images.

Thanks for hinting me to Parsec. I now understand that RDP is not made for video. It is not a problem. But I still wonder why Android Studio is so laggy in a big project. Maybe it really needs a CPU >= Generation 8 to feel good.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!