Performance issue Plex

yabbah

Oct 15, 2019
Hi, I have setup a proxmox host on a maschine with a Xeon E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz processor and 16gb ram. On that I have a VM with Ubuntu 18.04 which I dedicated 1 cpu and 8 cores, and 15gb ram. Then I use Plexmediaserver in docker on the ubuntu host, but when it should transcode a regular sd-movie all cores goes to 95-100% usage and it takes forever (60 seconds at least) until it start. Even when scanning a library takes about 100% cpu. What could be wrong? I have the media on a NAS mounted with NFS to the Ubuntu-server. Could NFS be the issue?

I would say you have too many cores assigned... It's a quad core cpu and you are leaving no cores for the hypervisor system, meaning that the hypervisor is fighting the vm for the cores. Any reason you don't just run plex directly on the proxmox host?

I would say you have too many cores assigned... It's a quad core cpu and you are leaving no cores for the hypervisor system, meaning that the hypervisor is fighting the vm for the cores. Any reason you don't just run plex directly on the proxmox host?

Ah okey, so your suggenstion is to take 6 cores for the ubuntu? (**Tested now, no changes **)

How do I run plex on the proxmox-host?

Last edited:
I run plex in a lxc container and my Intel Atom c3758 is able to transcode 3-4 1080p streams.
My cpu always jumps pretty high because I have set the throttle buffer to 10 minutes but it's always pretty responsive.

I run plex in a lxc container and my Intel Atom c3758 is able to transcode 3-4 1080p streams.
My cpu always jumps pretty high because I have set the throttle buffer to 10 minutes but it's always pretty responsive.

Im pretty new to proxmox and haven't tried lxc containers. Do you have a guide for installation of plex in a lxc?

And for the 10 minutes buffer you mean this setting in plex: "the transcoder standard limit for buffer" is set to 10 minutes (600 sec) ?

Hi, I have setup a proxmox host on a maschine with a Xeon E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz processor and 16gb ram. On that I have a VM with Ubuntu 18.04 which I dedicated 1 cpu and 8 cores, and 15gb ram. Then I use Plexmediaserver in docker on the ubuntu host, but when it should transcode a regular sd-movie all cores goes to 95-100% usage and it takes forever (60 seconds at least) until it start. Even when scanning a library takes about 100% cpu. What could be wrong? I have the media on a NAS mounted with NFS to the Ubuntu-server. Could NFS be the issue?

Wait so your setup is
<Proxmox host> Bear metal
<Ubuntu 18.04> KVM Virtual Machine
<Docker inside KVM> Plex

I mean the first thing i would try is running it in a contianer on the proxmox host, or only one level deep in a KVM VM (with the cpu set to host)

Ah okey, so your suggenstion is to take 6 cores for the ubuntu? (**Tested now, no changes **)

How do I run plex on the proxmox-host?
You just need to add the plex repository and then install with apt. :) for me it has simplifed a lot of things, also since I use hw acceleration with gpu

Installing a lxc container is pretty easy, there's loads of tutorials out there on how to set it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyjXxsQ8Igw is a nice video on installing a lxc container on pve.

After you're done it's basicly the same process as installing plex on a vm.
This guide will probably get you started:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-plex-media-server-debian-10-buster

When you become a bit more familiar with the usage of lxc container you could map a media folder from the host to the plex container and so on.

Reactions: yabbah
Installing a lxc container is pretty easy, there's loads of tutorials out there on how to set it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyjXxsQ8Igw is a nice video on installing a lxc container on pve.

After you're done it's basicly the same process as installing plex on a vm.
This guide will probably get you started:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-plex-media-server-debian-10-buster

When you become a bit more familiar with the usage of lxc container you could map a media folder from the host to the plex container and so on.

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight :)

I want gpu acceleration too. Did you just followed this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough ?
I have never used the LXC feature in Proxmox, ever only hosted VMs. But yeah for a VM you could also just passthrough the GPU to it. However, you would probably want 2 GPU's (one for VM, one for OS). Then passthrough the one for your VM. You then need to install the Nvidia drivers (either through rep or directly from their website) and enable it on your server. Remember though, you need Plex Pass for it to be possible.

Great to hear that you fixed the issue, 5 transcodes compared to 100% cpu usage for 1 is a pretty big improvement.

That will definitely not help performance with vm's. Your vm might still be fine using hardware virtualization.

Reactions: yabbah

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!