Performance Expectations

I'm not an expert on PBS disk performance profiling, and I have not seen any official recommendations on what FIO tests to run to model real-world PBS performance, so I can't really comment on that.

I do have some experience with bulk storage and this seems slightly absurd:
Drive layout is raid-5 managed by a hardware controller. It has 23 drives in the configuration.
Considering how PBS divides up data in chunks as part of deduplication, this seems like a problematic configuration if you want performance.

If you want to test the max possible single-VM operation speeds with your current hardware (CPU/memory/network), I would suggest using a pair of fast enterprise NVMe drives in a mirrored configuration, either using mdadm or ZFS, then test backup/restore using that as your storage storage.

For bulk storage at that scale, I would also look at running a (or several) ZFS pool(s) with multiple RAIDZ2 vdevs with harddrives, and also (this is the important bit) use metadata AND slog devices. You must use several mirrored metadata devices in a configuration like that, and they must be high-quality/high-endurance enterprise SSDs. SLOG has less stringent requirements.

Last edited:
For bulk storage at that scale, I would also look at running a (or several) ZFS pool(s) with multiple RAIDZ2 vdevs with harddrives, and also (this is the important bit) use metadata AND slog devices. You must use several mirrored metadata devices in a configuration like that, and they must be high-quality/high-endurance enterprise SSDs. SLOG has less stringent requirements.

But this "primer on ZFS" does not explain how he is getting fraction of what is possible on that HW RAID today already.

I also pointed out how he could test restore performance with SSDs to rule out the HW raid. That said, upon re-reading, the FIO 2MB chunk 64GB random read performance he mentions isn't half bad. I do wonder how much extra random access the restore process adds on because of the chunks + index layout PBS uses...

I wonder how the CPU load is on this host when doing restores, it would not surprise me if we're hitting some sort of performance ceiling simply from a single restore thread being maxed out.

Spinners on slow RAID configs will never get very fast, their benchmark are just seldom a IO pattern that can be achievable by real world access. And increasing parallelization on spinner backed disks, which have a big penalty for random IO, most often makes things worse, we tested quite a bit on this. And different VM restore tasks run in parallel, so for your storage, where random IO gets penalized, it could be even better to reduce parallelism. Or what did you mean exactly here?

Note also that the target storage and the network between PBS and PVE has also some say, as that can slow down the whole restore, especially if multiple VMs are restored the IO queues will never get filled as deep, especially not with ordered requests, compared to your FIO case; because your 128 deep queue can be sorted by the IO scheduler of the controller or HDD itself and is not so random anymore, especially if laid out on a file that's just 64 GB big, so not the best comparison with achievable performance of a multi TB restore.

FWIW, you could try switching the "chunk-order" tuning option to "none", while sorting by inode should make it a bit more performant on spinning disks, as the data then should be more local meaning less movements required from the magnetic needle, some systems, i.e. especially proprietary RAID controllers, which are a black box that's not really predictable, and storage where metadata access is much slower than reading the data, the ordering might make it worse.

https://pbs3.work.tlmp.it:8007/docs/storage.html#datastore-tuning-options

Note that modern enterprise SSDs are not only much more reliable and long-living compared to spinners, meaning less redundancy is required to get the same statistical safety, they are also available in 30 TB form for 3200 to 4000 € (excl. VAT) here, i.e., bigger than current HDDs, and the trend is still pointing upward. Sure, that clocks in about 8 times the raw €/TB price as spinning HDDs, but they are also hardly comparable in terms of performance and, as mentioned, reliability. Thus, they can save lots of operating costs, both in less maintenance and wait times required by admins, and more importantly, much less restore time – which, depending on the business, can often recoup the higher initial investment cost by a high margin. My point is, there's more than just the bucks-per-TB cost to look at when setting up a backup server. And FWIW, there are always combinations possible, like a smaller SSD backed datastore for incoming and latest backup and a bigger one HDD or even tape backed one to provide long term archival.

I mention that because we spent a significant amount of time with looking into improving throughput on spinners, and while it's certainly not impossible that there are some changes possible that could cause a dramatic improvement, it's rather likely that, if they exist, they are quite elaborate, which normally means high maintenance cost and regression potential for other things.
That said, we occasionally look into this, especially if we get a case in the enterprise support, and if we find anything we naturally are going to improve on it; but it's unlikely that the storage system you describe will get highly performant anytime soon.

I wonder how the CPU load is on this host when doing restores, it would not surprise me if we're hitting some sort of performance ceiling simply from a single restore thread being maxed out.
That would be rather surprising, the CPU doesn't need to do that much work here, especially not so much to be the bigger bottleneck as IO served from spinning storage.

But that would be easy to check through looking at top to see if one thread is maxed out and also the Pressure Stall Information, e.g.:
head /proc/pressure/*

The latter shows the time some or all (full) processes had to wait due to being starved by IO, CPU or Memory, ideally all numbers would be zero. If IO is non-zero during a restore it's very unlikely that increasing parallelism would help, rather the access pattern would require changing, and that's far from easy with the PBS chunk-store content addressable storage design (which brings many benefits, so IMO still a good trade-off).

Last edited:
I would like to thank everybody who has responded so far to my question. Unfortunately it has gotten off-track from the original question which was how fast can it go with appropriate hardware.

I did originally specify that all-flash wasn't reasonable, however, after some price comparisons I found that it can be considered a reasonable incremental upgrade rather than 10x+ price increase that my preferred hardware vendor is advertising.

The reason I needed the information is that I'm working on a proposal to implement PBS in an enterprise environment. I must be able to show that the required recovery points objectives (RPO) and recovery time objectives (RTO) can be met with room for future growth.

I have concluded that PBS will meet our the needs of our recovery points. This was due to the incremental nature of the backups which reduces the amount of data to be processed. Our old/slow testing repo was still sufficiently fast enough to meet our needs.

Recovery times are more concerning because a disaster will likely require tape recovery which consumes much of the recovery window. Average sized VMs aren't expected to be an issue, but we do have a few oversized VMs which are considered critical. My testing so far has not been able to confirm that recovery performance would be sufficient to meet our recovery times for oversized VMs.

However, I realized that I could wipe one of my PVE hosts then install PBS on it. It does meet the requirements for PBS and has more than enough nvme storage to test a larger VM.

If anybody is interested, I'll be happy to post the results once that testing is complete.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!