pct move_volume hangs forever

websmith

May 18, 2022
Hi,

I am trying to move a container's storage to my ceph storage - and it just hangs forever.

I have success with moving VM's, but every time I try to move the container to the ceph storage it just hangs.

My syslog has this entry, which might be the culprit - since it gets logged every time I try.

Feb 12 11:49:17 pve3 pvedaemon[3339310]: malformed JSON string, neither tag, array, object, number, string or atom, at character offset 0 (before "(end of string)") at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Tools.pm line 1011, <GEN7333> chunk 1.

Same result whether or not I do it from the UI or via
pct move-volume 101 rootfs vmdata

Is this a bug or something in my environment?

output from pveversion:

pve-manager/7.3-6/723bb6ec (running kernel: 5.15.35-1-pve)

I am trying to decommission a server, but its hard if I cannot move all containers away from the server.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks in advance

I found a work around - in case someone gets the same error:

Restore the container from a backup - and select the new storage as the target.

That works :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!