PCI Passthrough NVME

vmjunki

Jul 26, 2023
Hi, I'm new to proxmox and really need to install an eve-ng vm on my ssd with Nested virtualisation enabled. Most of the tutorials that I have searched so far explains spesific to graphic cards, which is not for my application at the moment.

I have a Dell R830 and a PCIe addon card with a Kingstom 512GB NVME that I want to dedicate to the eve-ng vm, can someone please point me in the right direction?

1690399769764.png

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Follow the steps in the PCI(e) passthrough section of the manual. Hardly anything is GPU specific and NVMe is also just a PCIe device on the host. Your NVMe device may or may not properly reset and it may or may not work with passthrough. There are no guarantees and as usual it's trial and error. You could also consider doing disk passthrough instead.

EDIT: Do you need someone else to tell you whether it is a good idea to make your NVMe device the Primary GPU of the VM? Please read a little, search a little, learn a little. Maybe some other volunteer here will take the time to write a step by step guide for your specific situation especially for you.

Last edited:
Follow the steps in the PCI(e) passthrough section of the manual. Hardly anything is GPU specific and NVMe is also just a PCIe device on the host. Your NVMe device may or may not properly reset and it may or may not work with passthrough. There are no guarantees and as usual it's trial and error. You could also consider doing disk passthrough instead.
1.Where do I get the driver name? do I omit the blacklist drivers section?
1690400365898.png
2.Do I omit "x-vga=on"
1690400562419.png
3. Proxmox do detect the drive
1690400750439.png

1.Where do I get the driver name? do I omit the blacklist drivers section?
View attachment 53529
2.Do I omit "x-vga=on"
View attachment 53530
3. Proxmox do detect the drive
View attachment 53531
There is a way to early bind the vfio-pcie driver with a systemd service, i did even a howto on that.
The service is needed, because it has to unbind that particular pcie-port from the driver and bind to vfio-pcie, because you can't simply blacklist the driver and you cannot bind vfio-pci to every pcie-port, that would render the system unusable.

But however, i could explain how to do that and provide the service file again, as I'm doing the same approach, where i need to passthrough one of multiple nics, that i use on the host + inside the vm.

But in your case, tbh, that won't be straightforward, a much better approach is to disk passthough, like @leesteken already said.
He even linked the how-to....

Passing through an NVMe is the same as passing any other PCIE device except ignore all the GPU related stuff.

I managed to pass an NVMe drive by following the instructions in the PCIE pass through wiki.

Couple things missing from there:
  • You might need to add the unsafe interrupts in the grub config instead
  • You need to run update-grub
  • You need/should do the PCI mapping at the Datacenter level in the Proxmox web UI.
  • Better of both host and guest are UEFI

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!