PCI passthrough Error code 43

Hello Darin, the fix which worked for me, was going into the bios and changing a CPU option from IGD to PEG. I have an intel motherboard, but i would guess the same counts for a amd :)
I do not an integrated GPU, so I doubt that would work for me then

I would strongly argue, that your setup would be capable. Have you looked through your bios? Trying to find anything about GPU usage?

GPU passthrough with just a single graphics card is always a tricky topic, since you have to make sure the host OS doesn't utilize it as it's boot GPU (in most cases anyway). The 1950x indeed doesn't have an integrated GPU, so that options falls flat.

Try adding video=efifb:off to your kernel command line, that can help for some GPUs in such a scenario, but it still depends on your BIOS implementation. Also try disabling "legacy boot" (sometimes called "CSM") in your BIOS, to avoid legacy VGA initialization and instead force the newer UEFI compatible way.

See our wiki for more information, especially check out the "romfile" part, which could potentially help as well.

Reactions: Moayad and jimnordb
Also try disabling "legacy boot" (sometimes called "CSM") in your BIOS

Holy cow I just spend a week trying to get an RX580 to work and couldn't and ended up buying a 1070TI used and in the course of troubleshooting Error 43 finally ran into this and it made it all work. Too bad I didn't stumble on this with the RX580. Consider adding it to your wiki.

Holy cow I just spend a week trying to get an RX580 to work and couldn't and ended up buying a 1070TI used and in the course of troubleshooting Error 43 finally ran into this and it made it all work. Too bad I didn't stumble on this with the RX580. Consider adding it to your wiki.

I've added a note to the wiki page under 'Troubleshooting' :)

Hello Darin, the fix which worked for me, was going into the bios and changing a CPU option from IGD to PEG. I have an intel motherboard, but i would guess the same counts for a amd :)
hi there, so basicly what you did was, setting the on-board graphics to the proxmox cli, and then your graphics card to your VM right?

@jimnordb what if i dont have on-board graphics card? can i still use 1no. Graphics card only to that vm?

im mean, im using it (video from that VM is outputing the HDMI) thing is, still code 43.. 1650 nvidia here.

Hello guys, i'm in need of help to fix the dreaded error code 43, when passinmg through my GTX 1050ti. I've been watching a lot of online guides, and reading through some reddit posts about how to correctly bypass error code 43...however i cannot seem to fix it :(

The main guide https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/ which i've tried 3 times .

- The problem is not the passthrough, rather that windows deactivates the use of the GPU because of the error code
- Any suggestions to make this work?
i kept on having a similar issue where i kept on getting error 43. after months of trying all options, i figured out that the host could not share the same gpu. i was able to resolve the issue by buying another cheap graphic card and pas through my gtx1650. hope that helps

FIXED!!! By some amazing help from jimnordb aka. SilentSpy, we were able to find out, that a bios option regarding CPU specifications needed to be changed from IGD to PEG. This enables my GPU to be used seperatly and worked like a charm.
Thanks this has worked for me also, I just changed from Auto to onboard ( to start onboard GPU on first boot)

Hello,

I also have this error code 43, I see my GPU on Windows 11, however it instantly disables it for me.

Another problem is that when I shut down my VM, I am forced to restart my entire node.

I've followed everything you've mentioned, I think, but to no avail (I'll look into the IGD to PEG setting as soon as I can, but I'm on a CPU with no graphics).

I specify that I am under Proxmox 8, for a gaming machine on Windows 11.

CPU: AMD ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard: Asus rog strix b550-f gaming
GPU: AMD Radeon rx 7600

I don't know if there have been any changes in settings from proxmox 7 to 8.

Thanks in advance =)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!