PCI passthrough documentation suggestion

AMD_PoolShark28

Jun 14, 2019
I created a demo system by following the https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough#GPU_OVMF_PCI_PASSTHROUGH_.28recommended.29 documentation.

However I find the _ recommendation _ to use PCI over PCIE strange... While some cards may function with PCI only, it is certainly not the standard test-case and there are many corner cases where the driver could reject loading due to missing PCIE feature / capability. I won't speak specifics, but one card I tried predictably failed on PCI. The newer the card, the less likely it is to function in PCI.

If there is valid rationale behind choosing PCI, I would love to hear it :)

I would recommend PCIE as the suggested default for graphics cards.

Disclosure: I work for AMD on Windows device drivers.

Hi,

If there is valid rationale behind choosing PCI, I would love to hear it :)
the reason is that the wiki article is outdated.

i have worked last year to improve our docs and moved the documentation of pci passthrough into our reference documentation
so the 'official' docs are here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PCI(e)_Passthrough
those are much better and current and make neither a recommendation to pci or pcie, but mentions when it might be necessary and the preconditions (pcie on q35 only)
my plan is to rename the 'pci_passhtrough' wiki article to 'pcie passthrough examples' and remove all things mentioned in the reference docs and link to it from there, but my time is sadly limited

so maybe if you want you can look over that page and see if something is wrong or worth improving ;)
of course patches are always welcome, even for the docs (pve-docs package in our git)

Disclosure: I work for AMD on Windows device drivers.
Nice :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!