PCI passthrough and VFIO IOMMU groups

philled

Renowned Member
May 25, 2015
I've been experimenting with KVM on a CentOS 7.1 hypervisor. One very frustrating problem I have come across is when trying to passthrough a DVB-T PCI card to one of the VMs. What I've learned is that there's a thing called an IOMMU group and a group can include multiple PCI cards. In my case I have a DVB-T PCI card and a dual NIC PCI card. They're both in the same IOMMU group but need to be assigned to different virtual machines. To do this you have to do things like bind the devices to vfio-pci modules and while it's probably not impossible on KVM, it sure feels that way. So I'm thinking of abandoning KVM and trying something else. I know it will work on VMware very easily but I want to avoid VMware. If I use Proxmox am I just going to come across the same problem, or does Proxmox have easier ways of handling this?

Should not be an problem. Use this with DVB-S PCIe card, and works fine. Did you know https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough ?
You must exclude all kernelmoduls from hostmachine from your passthrough. And add some things in grub. Your /etc/default/grub should include this too:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on rootdelay=5"
on VMconfig i have this:

Code:
machine: q35
hostpci0: 03:00.0,pcie=1,driver=vfio

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!