[SOLVED] PBS with SAN for Backup Storage

kokel

Mar 9, 2021
Hi there,

we are planning to use SAN for Backup Storage in PBS. Just, because we have a spare SAN Storage to use.
Because of SAN the PBS will see one big Block Device. Any recommendations how to use this big block device, what filesystem should we use?

I have read it is recommended to use a ZFS special device to speed up things. But in case of SAN I assume ZFS would be no good idea.
And in case there isn't ZFS in use for backup storage I think a zfs special device doesn't make any sense, right?

Thanks,
Kokel

As the SAN deals with disk redundancy, you dont have to use ZFS.

You should be able of creating smaller-than-the-whole-SAN LUNs in your SAN and connect to those LUNs from PBS. After that, PBS will see a disk that you may format as ext4 or xfs, mount that partition and use it for a PBS repo.

Thanks for the answers.
@VictorSTS: What do you mean with "creating smaller-than-the-whole-SAN LUNs"?

We plan to use LVM on top of the Block devices presented by SAN.

I understood that "Because of SAN the PBS will see one big Block Device. Any recommendations how to use this big block device" was a problem for you...

So you can use LVM as you plan or simply create LUNs in the SAN a present the space you have in the SAN as a few block devices.

Reactions: kokel
Ahh, ok. The Server is connected directly via Fibre-Channel to the SAN, so we have to create LUNs to present the space to the server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!