PBS with HDDs

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
The doc and anyone of this forum is advising to use SSDs for PBS but I didn't found a performance doc that can show the differences.

I have a cluster of 3 machines (3x 2T SAS HDD) that I want to backup. Would it be enough fast to use a DL380 witjh 6x4T disks in 1+0 zfs raid? What kind of performances / issues should I expect from it?

The doc and anyone of this forum is advising to use SSDs for PBS but I didn't found a performance doc that can show the differences.

I have a cluster of 3 machines (3x 2T SAS HDD) that I want to backup. Would it be enough fast to use a DL380 witjh 6x4T disks in 1+0 zfs raid? What kind of performances / issues should I expect from it?
PBS stores everything as small chunk files of max 4MB in size. Usually its more like 2MB per chunk. So if you backup 12 TB of guests that will result in roughly 6 million chunk files. PBS cleans up data by running a GC task that has to read and write the atime of each of those chunk files. So a daily GC task would create atleast 12 million IO (6 million times reading atime + 6 million times writing new atime). Now lets say your HDDs got a IOPS performance of 100 IOPS. With 6 disks in raid10 that would result in 300 IOPS. Divide 12 million IO by 300 IOPS and you get 40,000 seconds or over 11 hours. So yes, might work but won't be fast...a SSD could do that GC task in a few minutes.
At least use ZFS with two enterprise SSDs in mirror as special devices to store your metadata. A HDD-only datastore is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: takeokun

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!