[SOLVED] PBS with datastore on NFS

Fug1

Mar 27, 2019
I know there have been a lot of posts about this, but I'm still struggling.

I have a new PBS instance started up running 3.2-2. I have a FreeNAS/TrueNAS server with an NFS share set up for my backups.

I have mounted the NFS share using /etc/fstab under /mnt/backups in PBS. I have verified that I can write to this folder on PBS with both root and backup users. To test writing as the backup user, I added a shell for the backup user under /etc/passwd and switched to backup user with 'su - backup'.

Still, when I attempt to add a datastore under PBS on the NFS mounted directory, I get "EPERM: Operation not permitted". I guess this must be a permissions issue, but I can write with the backup user. Are there any logs that can provide more detail about this error?

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that you solved the issue yourself!

I will go ahead and set your thread as [SOLVED] in order to help other people who have the same issue.

OP is going way with a bad solution. How is that "Solved"?

@Fug1 Have you seen the testing to indicate that this is the very worst way to mount storage for PBS?

This thread is a bit contentious.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/datastore-performance-tester-for-pbs.148694/

The guy that wrote the script is trying to make the point that what you are doing is wrong.
There's some messy discussion there, but I think they proved their point.
Anything other than an NFS mount.
If you have to use that storage and that server, connect them with ISCSi instead.

PS ... Maybe it's time for @Der Harry to have another say about this.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!