PBS - VE can't start backups with TOTP/Two Step Auth

voarsh

Nov 20, 2020
I've added two step auth and PVE can't start backups with error error fetching datastores - 401 Unauthorized.
I don't really want to add a new user just for backups... I'd need to change owner for all backups, etc.

Am I missing anything to make it painless to have TOTP and have VE just use password just for creating/reading/restoring backups from PBS?
Or must I do as above and transfer to a "jailed" account just for backup/restore, etc....

no there is currently no way for users with tfa to make backups from pve
you have 2 possibilities:
* create a new user
* create a token for the user

but with both, you'd need to change the owner of the backup groups

Using API tokens for any client is recommended in general, they can be restricted in privileges independent of the ones from the user, restricted in their validity time and revoked any time without impacting the actual user, and tokens are made for automated headless access (where no second factor or the like can be queried).

https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/user-management.html#api-tokens

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!