[SOLVED] PBS Storage verification fails after change of SSL cert

Oggy512

Oct 18, 2020
Hi folks,
over the days I did setup a stand-alone CA and issued certificates (SHA256/RSA2048) for the PVE and the PBS Host. Since I only use those servers internally I'm happy with a self-signed certificate/CA, since I deploy the CA certificate to trusted publishers on the internal clients.

Both webinterfaces work fine, certificates are trused.
However, after changig the certs my backup now is failling:

The PVE host keep saying:

proxmox-backup-client failed: Error: error trying to connect: the handshake failed: error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:../ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1915:: self signed certificate in certificate chain (500)

What I did:
Uploaded the certificate chain (CA + Client) and Key via WebUI to PVE host.

Uploaded the certificate chain (CA + Client) as proxy.pem and Key as proxy.key via SSH to PBS host (/etc/proxmox-backup), chown root:backup, chmod 640 (as it is like the old cert) and rebooted host.
The fingerprint of PBS changed of course, which I also copied to the PVE Backup configuration, but that didn't work. I then deleted the PBS target from PVE host and re-added it, but still no look.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Thx!

hi,

since I deploy the CA certificate to trusted publishers on the internal clients.
you need to do this on the PVE host as well. can be done by adding the certificate in /etc/ssl/certs/ and running update-ca-certificates -f

Last edited:
Reactions: mokaz
Well... that was an easy one, thx, worked!
Btw: is this somewhere documented? If yes, I'm blind...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!