PBS single file restore with a PVE installation

foobar73

Jan 19, 2016
Is there a way to restore one file from a pbs archive without downloading from the browser?

hi,

yes you can use the proxmox-file-restore CLI tool. see man proxmox-file-restore for help

sure,

you can start with proxmox-file-restore list <snapshot> <path> to list files (make sure you've configured the environment variables with your PBS repository and credentials)

for example if my snapshot is called vm/2000/2021-03-31T12:55:48Z and i want the win.ini file:

Code:
proxmox-file-restore extract vm/2000/2021-03-31T12:55:48Z /drive-sata0.img.fidx/part/2/Windows/win.ini

Is there a "CLI Browser" for the file systems? So you can navigate in the folders and select the files you want to extract?

Thanks I got that to work. How would I use this to put the file into the container, for example? Do I run the backup client inside the container?

Thanks I got that to work. How would I use this to put the file into the container, for example? Do I run the backup client inside the container?
Either that or pull out the path you want and then copy it to the container with pct push <vmid> <file> <destination>

A stopped container can also be mounted with pct mount <vmid> and then copied into directly.

Is there a "CLI Browser" for the file systems? So you can navigate in the folders and select the files you want to extract?
No, currently there's not really an interactive file explorer for the VM based file-restore where one can even select files to extract.
But you could use proxmox-backup-client mount for interactive mounts of file-based backups.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#mounting-of-archives-via-fuse
There's also proxmox-backup-client map to map a block-based one as block-device (which then could be mounted, but mounting is always a privileged action that should be only done on trusted images).

No, currently there's not really an interactive file explorer for the VM based file-restore where one can even select files to extract.
But you could use proxmox-backup-client mount for interactive mounts of file-based backups.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#mounting-of-archives-via-fuse
There's also proxmox-backup-client map to map a block-based one as block-device (which then could be mounted, but mounting is always a privileged action that should be only done on trusted images).
Yeah, the proxmox-backup-client map doesn't work that well with lvm because you have two LVMs with the same ID and name on your VM. Maybe a future improvement for the proxmox-file-restore client? :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!