PBS running as a CT with bind mount: how to move to another node? [SOLVED]

Tony

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2010
I have a PBS instance running inside a CT with bind mount /zpool/pbs,mp=/zpool-pbs on node-A in a PVE cluster. Is it possible to move this CT to another node-B in the same cluster without data loss? My plan is following:

- backup the CT to local storage on node-A
- copy backup to node-B
- sync the dir /zpool/pbs to node-B
- delete CT on node-A
- restore from backup on node-B
- edit bind mount to reflect the new path on node-B

thanks in advance for any hint.

hi,

My plan is following:

- backup the CT to local storage on node-A
- copy backup to node-B
- sync the dir /zpool/pbs to node-B
- delete CT on node-A
- restore from backup on node-B
- edit bind mount to reflect the new path on node-B
sounds like a good plan :)

though before deleting the container on node-A you could just stop it, and delete it at the end if everything worked as you expected.

also don't forget to update the storage configuration on your PVE once it's complete (to reflect the new IP address of the CT)

Reactions: Tony
thanks, I did the plan and it went well. I restored the CT to a different ID, since it's not possible to keep the old CT and new CT with same ID.

Reactions: oguz
. I restored the CT to a different ID, since it's not possible to keep the old CT and new CT with same ID.
yes makes sense.

you can mark the thread as [SOLVED] :)

@Tony Wondering if you could provide more details on how you did this? bind mounting a zpool inside a PBS Container.
I tried mounting the zpool on the pve host first, when I

pct set 205 -mp0 /usbpool002/dataset021/store021,mp=/store021

The container fails to start.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!