PBS restore command syntax

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
I am playing with restore command for PBS and I cannot seem to get it right. I have local LVM storage called "local1-SSD" where I am trying to restore.

proxmox-backup-client restore --repository username@pbs@1.1.1.1:Datastore vm/1000/2023-08-13T23:00:39Z drive-virtio0.img.fidx /dev/local1-SSD/vm-1000-disk-0

When I execute it, it asks me for a password and then just stops or not seem to be doing anything. I checked the gui and there is no task restore during that time. is my syntax right ? I took the drive and vm info from the GUI task progress restore.

While at it , is there a plan to do GUI bulk restore the way backup GUI operates ? We are backing up and syncing between 2 proxmox backup servers hundreds of VMs to the backup location. It would be elegant if the GUI could provide that.

I see in the roadmap:
  • GUI restore improvements (including VMs) (done)
Is this by any chance bulk restore of multiple VMs ?

Thank you

Hi,
you can use the high level qmrestore <archive-name> <vmid> --storage local1-SSD on Proxmox VE to restore the VM snapshot to the desired storage and VMID. The archive name you can get from pvesm list <pbs-storage-name>.

There is a feature request for bulk VM restore https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4438, please state your interest there and/or follow the development progress.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!