PBS remote for disaster recovery

errno-EAGAIN

Feb 10, 2021
I recently added a remote PBS to sync my backups data to a different physical location. It is pulling backups from my primary PBS. Now I'm wondering, If I lose my primary PBS, how would I recover from my remote server. Would I simply add it as a new storage to my cluster and start restoring VMs? Is it really that simple?

I recently added a remote PBS to sync my backups data to a different physical location. It is pulling backups from my primary PBS. Now I'm wondering, If I lose my primary PBS, how would I recover from my remote server. Would I simply add it as a new storage to my cluster and start restoring VMs? Is it really that simple?
should be. if you enabled encryption on your pbs storage, you have to give the existing encryption key to the new storage config so that the client can decrypt the backups

Can we have more than 1 encryption key per node to restore on? I think it worked before, but I have atleast two different encryption keys. I have both on the restore server under /etc/pve/priv/storage/ I get the error that the key is incorrect when trying to restore though.
Thank you in advance.

Can we have more than 1 encryption key per node to restore on? I think it worked before, but I have atleast two different encryption keys. I have both on the restore server under /etc/pve/priv/storage/ I get the error that the key is incorrect when trying to restore though.
Thank you in advance.
the key is per pve storage, so you can have multiple encryption keys if you add the pbs under different names

the key is per pve storage, so you can have multiple encryption keys if you add the pbs under different names
I'm trying to understand how a Master Key to Store and Recover Encryption Keys would work.
It almost sounds as if using a Master Key would enable us to use different encryption keys.
Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the purpose and how this works?
Thank you @dcsapak

https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup...ster-key-to-store-and-recover-encryption-keys

the master key is there to save the encryption key to the backup in an encrypted way, if you add the same masterkey to all pbs storages, you could recover them with the same master key
but one pve storage still can only have one pbs key (+master key)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!