PBS (Proxmox Backup Server) - initial thoughts after first test install

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, small note to just give bit of feedback to forum / team. I just finished using my first test setup with (proxmox latest) and (proxmox backup server). So far I am extremely happy with how it all works.

The setup is very standard kind of stuff, ie,

(a) Physical host is a standard OVH rental xeon server that started as Prox5 template install by OVH. Then I did in-place upgrade to move it up to Prox6.X (they don't appear to have a Prox6 template available yet, at least not in site I was deploying).
(b) PBS server is a 'dedicated VM running Deb10 in OVH public cloud" - effectively a small dedicated debian instance, 2Tb local disk space, 2 CPU, 2gb ram I believe. Once Debian was installed from stock OVH setup - and then patched to latest - I followed the PBS install doc for how to convert a Debian box into a PBS server. This basically went very smoothly.

Once both hosts were ready. Getting the PBS server configured on the Proxmox host was striaghtforward and I have now a new 'backup storage target' - the data repository created on the PBS server. From there it was a matter of using normal built-in Proxmox "do backup now" or "schedule backups / this VM to that target" kind of approach to get it to push backup jobs along using the PBS storage repo.

( It was important to make sure both proxmox and PBS hosts were 100% up to date / and running precisely the same up-to-date status for things to work fine. But this is not exactly hard thing to achieve. )

So far I've only run 1 x Backup for each of 3 x VM running on the Proxmox node. (1 x OpenVPN Linux Turnkey server VM; and 2 x Windows server instances). Already it seems the 2 x windows servers instances did dedup against one another, ie, second windows backup job told me specifically ~12gigs of shared blocks (approx) in the backup job, even though it was my first backup of this VM. (But second backup of a windows server instance / same flavour of WinServer).

I am guessing I will see more / nice / dedup/incremental style behaviour as I push along more backups (ie, nightly or weekly).

But anyhoo. I just wanted to make quick post to the forum to say a big (huge!) thank you to the proxmox team for building out this functionality in PBS. It is really going to be a game changer I think. Tremendously functional. Really really good news kind of thing.

Obviously my use is very limited so far. I have not got all use cases tested obviously. But. That aside, wow.

Tim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!