[SOLVED] PBS on cluster-node with ovs

Waschbüsch

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2014
Munich
I just added a node to my test cluster to try and work with PBS.
My cluster network is done using openvswitch and I was disappointed in that the PBE server software does not seem to work with this setup.

Code:
root@test07:~# proxmox-backup-manager network list
┌────────┬─────────┬───────────┬────────┬─────────┬──────────────┬────────────┬──────────────┐
│ name   │ type    │ autostart │ method │ method6 │ address      │ gateway    │ ports/slaves │
╞════════╪═════════╪═══════════╪════════╪═════════╪══════════════╪════════════╪══════════════╡
│ eno1   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
├────────┼─────────┼───────────┼────────┼─────────┼──────────────┼────────────┼──────────────┤
│ eno2   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
├────────┼─────────┼───────────┼────────┼─────────┼──────────────┼────────────┼──────────────┤
│ eno3   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ eno4   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ vlan1  │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.1.7/24  │ 10.8.1.254 │              │
│ vlan10 │ unknown │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ vlan20 │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.20.7/24 │            │              │
│ vlan4  │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.4.7/24  │            │              │
│ vlan5  │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.5.7/24  │            │              │
│ vmbr0  │ unknown │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
└────────┴─────────┴───────────┴────────┴─────────┴──────────────┴────────────┴──────────────┘

The above probably means that I should not touch the network config with the command line tool, but stick with the 'normal' proxmox interface.

More problematic for me is this:

Code:
root@test07:~# sockstat | grep 8007
backup   proxmox-backup-      3792     tcp6   :::8007                   :::*                      LISTEN
backup   proxmox-backup-      3792     tcp6   :::8007                   :::*                      LISTEN

The server does not listen on any IPv4 address, and I can only guess that this is due to the software ignoring the unknown interface types?

Now, it is trivial to change the network on that node so that it used the linux bridge and vlan stuff instead of ovs, but it would be nice to have a consistent setup.

Anyway, maybe I missed something? I could not find nay mention of ovs in connection to PBS in the forum or the manual.

I just added a node to my test cluster to try and work with PBS.
My cluster network is done using openvswitch and I was disappointed in that the PBE server software does not seem to work with this setup.

Code:
root@test07:~# proxmox-backup-manager network list
┌────────┬─────────┬───────────┬────────┬─────────┬──────────────┬────────────┬──────────────┐
│ name   │ type    │ autostart │ method │ method6 │ address      │ gateway    │ ports/slaves │
╞════════╪═════════╪═══════════╪════════╪═════════╪══════════════╪════════════╪══════════════╡
│ eno1   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ eno2   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ eno3   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ eno4   │ eth     │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ vlan1  │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.1.7/24  │ 10.8.1.254 │              │
│ vlan10 │ unknown │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
│ vlan20 │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.20.7/24 │            │              │
│ vlan4  │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.4.7/24  │            │              │
│ vlan5  │ unknown │         1 │ static │         │ 10.8.5.7/24  │            │              │
│ vmbr0  │ unknown │         1 │ manual │         │              │            │              │
└────────┴─────────┴───────────┴────────┴─────────┴──────────────┴────────────┴──────────────┘

The above probably means that I should not touch the network config with the command line tool, but stick with the 'normal' proxmox interface.

yes

More problematic for me is this:

Code:
root@test07:~# sockstat | grep 8007

The server does not listen on any IPv4 address, and I can only guess that this is due to the software ignoring the unknown interface types?

Now, it is trivial to change the network on that node so that it used the linux bridge and vlan stuff instead of ovs, but it would be nice to have a consistent setup.

Anyway, maybe I missed something? I could not find nay mention of ovs in connection to PBS in the forum or the manual.

that must be related to something else. PBS listens on all interfaces, and it shows the same output for me even when listening on both IPv4 and IPv6...

that must be related to something else. PBS listens on all interfaces, and it shows the same output for me even when listening on both IPv4 and IPv6...
Indeed. It turned out to be a firewall thing after all.
As for the socket: apparently, if you create a dual-stack socket on ::, it will still listen on all interfaces ipv4 and v6, but not show up separately. I'll have to keep that in mind - it is somewhat misleading when trying to diagnose network issues...

you're not the first to be misled by that ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!