[SOLVED] pbs on bare metal with pve updating

yaboc

Renowned Member
Nov 13, 2012
hi

i want to add second server that will be DR pve2 + pbs1 for the primary pve1. pbs1 will replicate to remote pbs2 as well.

my question is do i install pve first and pbs second ? or vice versa? which order is better(?) from upgrading standpoint. would running pbs lxc/vm be better on the DR pve2 node?

thanks for any help in advance

y

Hey,

you can install PBS on top of PVE - https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#install-proxmox-backup-server-on-proxmox-ve
There are some consideration choices to decide eventually.

From my experience, on our first installation, we installed PVE first then PBS on top of PVE and the same for installation no. 2.
Then created a replication of the datastores just in case that one of our hypervisor would be offline at some point.

Both located in different buildings :)
Works like a charm

Best

Reactions: yaboc
Hey,

you can install PBS on top of PVE - https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#install-proxmox-backup-server-on-proxmox-ve
There are some consideration choices to decide eventually.

From my experience, on our first installation, we installed PVE first then PBS on top of PVE and the same for installation no. 2.
Then created a replication of the datastores just in case that one of our hypervisor would be offline at some point.

Both located in different buildings :)
Works like a charm

Best

Thanks that's great.
Any issues as far as updating? I'm assuming pve first, pbs 2nd (starting with second node first ofc)?

So you're backing up pve1 to pbs2 and pbs2 syncs data store to pbs1. are you running any vm/lxc on pve2 DR or it's just an 'empty' dr node? have you done pbs1 to pve1 restores (restores happening on the same node). any performance issues? or are you always using the other pbs?

Last edited:
When you update the packages via apt PVE and PBS will be updated at the same time. As they are bare metal on the same host.

You will have an impact in performance when running high load VMs/LXCs on your PVE when starting to backing up / restoring thus machines at the same time and your system can't keep up with that workload. Starting backups especially when having everything on one share storage.

Optimal you want to divide your datastore for VMs/LXCs from your PBS datastore.

Eg. 3x3TB NVMe SSDs for VMs/LXCs & 3x3TB NVMe SSDs for only backups connected via their own backup NIC and mirror them between PVE and PBS.

Always have a node setup where the system specifications are identical - so you don't lack anything in performance degradation.

Best

Reactions: yaboc
And keep in mind that you for example can only update from PVE8 to PVE9 once there is also an update from PBS3 to PBS4 available. As you can't mix repos of different major Debian versions. And there might be some time between major PBS and PVE releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaboc and Hqu
When you update the packages via apt PVE and PBS will be updated at the same time. As they are bare metal on the same host.

You will have an impact in performance when running high load VMs/LXCs on your PVE when starting to backing up / restoring thus machines at the same time and your system can't keep up with that workload. Starting backups especially when having everything on one share storage.

Optimal you want to divide your datastore for VMs/LXCs from your PBS datastore.

Eg. 3x3TB NVMe SSDs for VMs/LXCs & 3x3TB NVMe SSDs for only backups connected via their own backup NIC and mirror them between PVE and PBS.

Always have a node setup where the system specifications are identical - so you don't lack anything in performance degradation.

Best
yeah i figured it's best to separate vm/lxs and pbs pools to avoid performance issues but thank you for that info. cheers!

And keep in mind that you for example can only update from PVE8 to PVE9 once there is also an update from PBS3 to PBS4 available. As you can't mix repos of different major Debian versions. And there might be some time between major PBS and PVE releases.
noted and thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!