PBS Migration to new host

kenneth_vkd

Sep 13, 2017
Hi
We rent physical hardware in a DC for storing the PVE guest backups off-site. On this server we have installed PBS.
Now our PBS server is starting to reach 80% capacity and as per the dashboard it is expected full within the next 30-40 days. All backups are running with encryption enabled
So I figured that it would be time to start looking into getting more space. As the provider of the physical server is renting out fixed hardware configurations, we do not have the option of changing out the drives for larger ones or adding additional drives to the server and then expanding the ZFS Pool accordingly.
The option that we have is to rent a larger server and migrate the data over.
I have tried to look in the PBS documentation, but could not find documentation on how you would migrate between hosts.

So what I want to know is how do we migrate? Do I simply need to configure the new server with PBS and then create a sync job between the two servers and wait for it to be complete, then disable the job and change the configuration in PVE to point to the new server? Or is there a specific PBS host migration process that I have missed in the documentation?

So what I want to know is how do we migrate? Do I simply need to configure the new server with PBS and then create a sync job between the two servers and wait for it to be complete, then disable the job and change the configuration in PVE to point to the new server?
yes thats the preferred way, make sure you adapt the fingerprint (if needed)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!