PBS Migrate to Another Server

masteryoda

Jun 28, 2020
I have a PBS running ver 2.x and have a Datastore on NFS mount. I installed a new server 3.x on another machine and i want to move all the configuration and mount the same datastore on it.

i created a remote on the new server but when i try to use the same datastore nfs mount i get a "EPERM: Operation not permitted" Error. i mounted the NFS share on the new server and its accessible.

can some one please let me know what I'm doing wrong

Hi,
the PBS remote feature is not intended the way you are trying to use it. You should not have two concurrent proxmox-backup-server instances accessing the same datastore.

Either set it up for the new server to have exclusive access to the datastore and move the configuration over from the old server (also not ideal since you have two different major versions), or setup a different datastore for the new PBS and sync the data via a sync job [0].

"EPERM: Operation not permitted"
Probably you don't have write permissions on the NFS.

On a more general note: Using PBS with a network share is not recommended for performance reasons. Especially the integrity verification and garbage collection jobs are known to perform poorly on them because of limited IO.

[0] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html#remote

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!