PBS Location & off-site strategy

Taledo

Nov 20, 2020
Hey all,

I've got the opportunity to upgrade the Proxmox backup servers running in our production environment.

Currently, I have the PBS set up as follows :

DC A backups to the PBS on DC B
DC B backups to the PBS on DC A
DC C backups to the PBS on DC A

I am fully aware that this is not optimal (but the best I could do at the time I got to set up the PBS in the first place).

What I would like to do is to have this instead :

DC A backups to the PBS on DC A, in a name space, and then the PBS in DC A is sync'd to a namespace on the PBS in DC B
DC B backups to the PBS on DC B, in a name space, and then the PBS in DC B is sync'd to a namespace on the PBS in DC C
DC C backups to the PBS on DC C, in a name space, and then the PBS in DC C is sync'd to a namespace on the PBS in DC A

This would, in theory, speed up the backups as current speed from DC A to DC B PBS wise is this :
TLS (maximal backup upload speed) │ 119.51 MB/s (10%)

While DC A to DC A PBS speed is :
TLS (maximal backup upload speed) │ 434.78 MB/s (35%)

Would there be any downside in doing it this way?

Cheers

I've found the namespaces... not that "great" (though, I am using them in some cases), and have opted to rather do separate datastores for my "DCs"/clusters, even when on the same ZFS pool, at least I get better indications on the storage usage for each DC (which you won't see "Easily" in PBS when using namespaces) and could manage the quotas per datastore/DC easier

I also do that type of A sync to B to C, but what I'd rather advise (which I do):

DC A -> PBS A
and then: PBS B *and* PBS C sync from PBS A
Rinse repeat Y-> Y and then X&Z sync both from Y etc.

Reactions: Taledo
Hi,

Thanks for your insight, datastore wise this is a good idea, and I'll follow up with it.

Sync wise, I might be limited by disk space, but I agree with you that syncing to multiple PBS would be better.

depending on your requirements, you could still sync, but for example only leave the last 2 or so on those with limited storage

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!