[SOLVED] Pbs install on usb

TheTechDev

Jul 11, 2023
Can I install proxmox backup server os on a USB drive? I know proxmox ve is not recommended due to log counts but is pbs fine to run off usb?

Thanks

Can I install proxmox backup server os on a USB drive? I know proxmox ve is not recommended due to log counts but is pbs fine to run off usb?

Thanks
Hi,
I would not recommend running anything mission critical (especially a backup system) of a USB stick, not even if the data is on a secure storage. USB sticks commonly use the worst flash storage you can find nowadays.

Can I install proxmox backup server os on a USB drive?
In my experience USB mass storage is often... not nearly as reliable as wanted.

Do not use a "classic" USB-stick but use (at least) a SSD in an USB-->SATA Adapter or a NVMe in an USB-->NVMe Adapter. (If you need to use a normal stick please avoid ZFS!)

I have run a server at home (PVE, not PBS - but that shouldn't matter) with TWO of them mirrored a while ago. And yes, the ZFS "magic" regarding self-healing / scrubbing / replacing a drive did its job more than once.

For me USB had produced several problems in the past...

Good luck!

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!