PBS Install on Single Disk

Kirani

Jul 13, 2022
I recently installed PBS on a server that had a single RAID1 array, and had issues with root taking up all the space.

Eventually I booted into an Ubuntu live CD< shrank root and the volume, then created a new volume that used most of the space on the disks.

After mounting and creating a datastore, this seems to work fine, but is this the only way to install on a single disk/array?

I'd like to set up some cloud/offsite backups. Initially I thought about using Duplicati or similar, but that doesn't seem like a very "clean" way of doing it, and instead I am thinking of getting a VPN and running a second instance of PBS there to sync with.

My concern is if the VPS just offers a single disk, I will face the same issue but not be able to shrink root.

Any ideas appreciated, thank you! I am new to Proxmox and so far it seems awesome.

how did you create the pbs instance?
what do you mean with 'root taking up all the space' exactly?

normally the datastore can just live anywhere, and it'll share the space with whatever else is on it, you don't need to have it seperated
(though some 'usage' graphs may be not purely the datastore then)

if you have some vps with a single partition/fs, you can just create the datastore anywhere and use the space

I have a feeling I may have overcomplicated things...

I installed PBS with the regular installer, and when I ran
Code:
lvs
after installing I saw that the root LV was the full size of the disk, minus the swap volume.

After seeing guides that all used a separate disk for the datastore (and this post about shrinking root https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/mlgwpg/proxmox_backup_server_on_a_single_disk_vps/ ) I assumed I needed a volume solely for that, so I shrank the root LV in the live environment and created a new LV that spanned the rest of the disk for the datastore.

Could I have just created a directory in the root LV and created a datastore there?

I... I'll just.. go and sit in the corner.

Thanks for both of you for replying/confirming/educating, at least I got it in the end!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!