PBS in VM & ZFS

aluputi

Jul 12, 2017
I know that PBS relies on ZFS but it can be installed as a VM. I also know that ZFS requires direct drive access, so I think the best solution for PBS in VM is to passthrough the storage drives to that machine. What would be the downsides if PBS is completely installed in a VM and the ZFS inside it relies on the VM storage and not on a dedicated drive?

I know that PBS relies on ZFS but it can be installed as a VM.
that is not true, pbs works with most linux filesystems (e.g. ext4,xfs). we just recommend zfs for the redunancy/checksum features

I see, so ZFS is not a requirement for PBS. I thought the deduplication comes from the underlying ZFS.
Thanks, it's clear now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!