[SOLVED] PBS Connection keeps refusing from PVE

Sic Alpha

Dec 18, 2020
My PBS server is brand new fresh install, just created the datastore and called Backups.

I'm trying to add the PBS as storage from PVE Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Proxmox Backup Server

Here is what I'm entering into PVE to try and add it as storage from the Datacenter
s8miz260bmb61.png

Here is the error I'm getting when I click on Add

ul3f1q2qamb61.png

I followed this guide verbatim, other than PBS is not a VM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBNm0fNIog

I can logon to PBS, I made sure that root@pbs password is correct. I copied the fingerprint from PBS dashboard and entered into the Fingerprint field above.

I'm lost as to why this isn't working.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you

UPDATE: I rebooted the PVE server and now it works... :-\ frustrating. At least it works now :)

UPDATE 2: It lost its connection between PVE and PBS again. Connection Refused Error 500. Freaking weird; I ran four backups that worked great, on the fifth it decided to lose/refuse connection again. PVE now can't see anything from PBS, even the successful backups that already ran; I was able to see them under each machine's backup section before getting the "Connection Refused" error. They're still there when viewing the Datastore on PBS. I changed nothing between running the four successful backpus to PBS and the fifth failing.

Hello,

Same problem for me, with opened 8007 TCP, IPTables opened for this port to my distant PBS Server IP (by WAN)

I'm on the same network, both VPE & PBS plugged into the same switch.

Still refusing connection today :(

Last edited:
Rebooted it just to see... working now with nothing more than a reboot of PBS. I was able to successfully complete two backups. It seems that after a short period of time, PBS just starts refusing the connection to PVE. A reboot fixes it for a short amount of time.

When it loses connectivity to PVE, I've noticed that it's also refusing to connect the web UI and SSH when it "hiccups". Rebooting doesn't always bring it back. Could it be a bad NIC?

Another weird case. If I try to access it from one of my VMs, it works for a while then starts refusing. If I move to another Vm, it works for a while then starts refusing. Rinse repeat. Anyone have an idea of what could cause this? Is there a firewall on PBS that is blocking IPs after a certain amount of time for some reason?

Last edited:
Leaving it sit overnight, my PC and the VMs that it was refusing last night, can now access the web UI and SSH again; no change, just let it sit. PVE still doesn't connect though, still get connection refused error 500.

Last edited:
the intermittent working/not working would lead to some network misconfiguration... are you sure that ip does only exist once in your network? (duplicate ips can have such an effect)

the intermittent working/not working would lead to some network misconfiguration... are you sure that ip does only exist once in your network? (duplicate ips can have such an effect)
Hi,
I have the same error, between my PBS (off site), and my PVE. (Firewall, NATing is OK), the two servers are reachable. Do you have an idea ?
Thanks

That's a great suggestion; one I hadn't thought about. Thanks! I checked my ARP table and don't see anything else with the same IP, 192.168.1.210, though there is one with *.211, but that shouldn't matter. I'll keep checking it to see if another 210 pops up.

The motherboard PBS is on is a Supermicro MBD-X10SDV-4C-TLN2F-O and has dual 10GBe NICs. My switch is a Unifi USW-24-G2 that only does gigabit. I've read that there are some 10GBe NICs Unifi seems to have compatibility issues with when negotiating them down to gigabit. I've ordered an I210T1 to see if that helps me out.

Last edited:
I received the I210T1 today; so far PBS connected instantly without any issues, all backups ran, verifying the backups now.

It's looking like it was a compatibility issue between my 10gbe NIC and my gigabit switch.

Hopefully it continues to work; so far so good.

And... @dcsapak you were correct; there was another device running on 192.168.1.210... my UPS. It didn't, and still doesn't, show up on ARP tables when I look for it. That's weird.

I found the UPS was using the same IP by complete accident looking at something else. I had put the I210T1 on a different IP to avoid conflicting with the 10gbe NIC and just assumed it was due to incompatibilities with that NIC and Switch.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!