PBS breaking customer SQL backups. Backups without FS-Freeze?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kollwa
The qemu-guest-agent for Windows recently got an option to set if the VSS should be full or not.

See https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/775 and https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/commit/7dfce9bd0fb226debf03a9bc73eaa0b85e836bab
Hi,

it is still unclear to me, which versions of the qemu-ga have this option. Neither an installer of the latest(?) version asks me for this, nor do i have the Registry key. Can someone clarify please?

From my understanding for Snapshot Backups of the underlying blockdevice vss-copy ist totaly sufficient and way less complicative for the guests workload.

thnks.

Greetings!

I've found some commits on the qemu-repo that were made on 09.03.2023: (DD/MM/YYYY)
* main switch
* installer option

The 'latest-stable' linked in the proxmox wiki was (as I am writing this) updated on 09.01.2023 (see: Download site)
So it cannot contain the patch.. :(

Edit: the actual repositories that are used as source for the 'fedorapeople.org' downloads don't have any mention of 'VssOption' in them:
* virtio-win-pkg-scripts
* kvm-guest-drivers-windows

Edit2:
Just as a reference - these are the errors we are seeing: (for each database that exists)
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE master. Check the backup application log for detailed messages BackupVirtualDeviceFile::TakeSnapshot: failure on backup device '{UUID}'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.). BackupVirtualDeviceFile::SendFileInfoBegin: failure on backup device '{UUID}'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.). Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e14. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3013

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!