PBS boot stuck after upgrade to pbs-2

Sputnik93

Jul 20, 2021
Hello,

I upgraded my dedicated Proxmox Backup to pbs-2 this morning, using this guide: https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_1.1_to_2.x

Everything went fine during the upgrade process, but after a reboot, the server is stuck on this line:
Code:
[***   ] A start job is running for Network …tialization (10min 32s / no limit)

I do not have the possibility to access a GRUB menu, as this is a dedicated server.

I can however boot a rescue live CD and then chrrot into my pbs system, here are some information :
Code:
root@myPublicIP:/var/log# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug enp0s20
iface enp0s20 inet dhcp
root@myPublicIP:/var/log# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: enp0s20: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:07:cb:04:0d:48 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet myPublicIP/24 brd xxx.xxx.222.255 scope global enp0s20
    inet6 fe80::207:cbff:fe04:d48/64 scope link

Until this morning, the server was running pbs-1.x (I do not remember the exact version, but it was up to date, so I guess it was latest pbs-1.x) on top of Debian 10. This installation was relatively young (about 1 month) and I did not install anything else than pbs on this box.

Thank you for your help, I would gladly provide any additional information required

I can however boot a rescue live CD and then chrrot into my pbs system, here are some information :
* could you check which version of `ifupdown` and `ifupdown2` you have installed?
* also check https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/a...-initialisation-t-no-limit.90438/#post-396772
(is there /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wait_for_link_up on the system - if yes - remove it)

finally try replacing the `allow-hotplug` with `auto`
Code:
auto enp0s20
iface enp0s20 inet dhcp

I hope this helps!

Thank you for your help.

* I have ifupdown2 installed:
Code:
root@pbs-box:~# dpkg -l | grep ifupdown
rc  ifupdown                       0.8.35+pve1                    amd64        high level tools to configure network interfaces
ii  ifupdown2                      3.0.0-1+pve5                   all          Network Interface Management tool similar to ifupdown

* There is no directory /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/, here is the list of files in /etc/network and subdirectories:
Code:
root@pbs-box:~# find /etc/network/ -type f
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/network/if-up.d/postfix
/etc/network/if-up.d/bind9
/etc/network/if-up.d/openntpd
/etc/network/if-down.d/postfix
/etc/network/if-down.d/bind9
/etc/network/ifupdown2/ifupdown2.conf
/etc/network/ifupdown2/addons.conf

* As suggested, I replaced allow-hotplug with auto, here is the new /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
root@pbs-box:/# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#allow-hotplug enp0s20
auto enp0s20
iface enp0s20 inet dhcp

After a new reboot, the problem appears the same.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!