PBS and PVE backup configuration

barrydocks

May 3, 2023
I have 2 sites and intend to have a PVE and PBD server at each.

I plan on having the local PBS as part of the same node as the local PVE server but have been advised not to include the remote servers in the same node as there can be issues from the latency over WAN. However, I would still like to back up remotely say once a week.
2 questions really:
In terms of the PBS server, would it be better to partition the drive and have half available to each PVE server or have a single partition and make it available to both servers?
For the remote servers, what would be the best way to make the storage on the PBS available to the PVE server if it is not included in the same node?

Thanks

I have 2 sites and intend to have a PVE and PBD server at each.

I plan on having the local PBS as part of the same node as the local PVE server but have been advised not to include the remote servers in the same node as there can be issues from the latency over WAN. However, I would still like to back up remotely say once a week.
2 questions really:
In terms of the PBS server, would it be better to partition the drive and have half available to each PVE server or have a single partition and make it available to both servers?
For the remote servers, what would be the best way to make the storage on the PBS available to the PVE server if it is not included in the same node?

Thanks
Hi,
note that co-installations of Proxmox VE and Proxmox Backup Server are not advised, as that might cause you troubles when performing upgrades. What many users are doing instead, is install the Proxmox Backup Server in a virtual machine, running on top of the Proxmox VE hypervisor. In order to sync the backups from the local instance to the remote host, please have a look at the sync job feature of PBS https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html#sync-jobs

Hi,
note that co-installations of Proxmox VE and Proxmox Backup Server are not advised, as that might cause you troubles when performing upgrades. What many users are doing instead, is install the Proxmox Backup Server in a virtual machine, running on top of the Proxmox VE hypervisor. In order to sync the backups from the local instance to the remote host, please have a look at the sync job feature of PBS https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html#sync-jobs
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what the advantage of virtualizing the PBS server is, my hardware is fairly modest so having separate machines helps with that, I don't really have any intention of upgrading much - my current VirtualBox set up has been running on ubuntu 18.04!

In terms of setting up the PBS server, would it be better to have one big partition for the data storage or split it in to 2 or 3 smaller partitions each for a different dataset?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!