PBS and OMV on the same Host?

OhmtaXs

Dec 12, 2022
Hi there, I have a PVE running with several services like NGINX Proxy Manager, Nextcloud, Adguard, Jellyfin and so on. Untill now I realized my Backups on the same Host but now I plan to setup a dedicated Host for the Backups in a Server Case with 4 Hot Swap Bays. But my vision is to use 2 of the HotSwap Bays with a Mirror RAID for my Backups and the other 2 HotSwap Bays with a Mirror RAID as well for my OpenMediaVault NAS to provide the the Data to my Jellyfin Server for example.

Is it possible to run PBS and OMV parallel on the same Hardware? I figured out some Szenarios but I dont feel comfortable with any of them.
Szenario 1:
Running PBS in a VM on the PVE and configure the OMV with 2 RAID Datastores and gave one to the PBS.
Szenario 2:
Running PVE on the new Host as well and virtualize both PBS and OMV.

I searched the Internet for a propper solution for several days now but I cant find one for me. Has anybody a hint for me if it's possible what im trying to do and can lead me the way to a Guide/Tutorial.

Thanks a lot and Best Regards.

The details will depend on exact hardware (i.e. hardware raid vs ZFS), but this is what I would do:

- On the new server, install PVE using a portion of the first RAID1 (say 100GB, more than enough).
- Partition and format the rest of that RAID1 and mount it to a path.
- Then add PBS repository and install proxmox-backup-server package.
- Configure PBS to use a subdirectory in the RAID1.
- Partition and format with either LVM Thin (hw raid) or ZFS (soft raid) the other RAID1 with the remaining 2 disks
- Add it as a storage to PVE
- Create a vm for OMV, add virtual disks, create shares, etc

Reactions: OhmtaXs
Hi Victor, thx for the fast answer.
I didn't know there is a PBS Package for the PVE. Does that mean I can expand the functionality of PVE to act as a PBS parallel with the ability for further virtualization?
If I setup the new Server like this, do I have all the main Features of a native PBS like incremental Backups and so on?

Exact same features. And given that most of your VMs will keep running on a different server, you get good data availability. Even your OMV VM will have it's backups on a different RAID1. You should get some backups to a different medium, though, just in case the second server breaks. An USB drive and doing sync with PBS might be good enough.

Ok I'm currently working on the transfer from the old to the new Server because I setup the new Server last week. But as soon the transfer is completed I'll try out the mentioned solution. In first place it looks like I could get along with such a setup, but untill I tested it maybe there are other possible configurations to realize my vision.
If anyone else knows a possible solution feel free to share it with us.

Untill then @VictorSTS I really appreciated your egagement and can't wait to test it out for my self.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!