PBS and LDAP Auth issue

Krupskij

Mar 11, 2024
Trying to evaluate PBS i encountered a strange issue with LDAP.
Realm is set, sync successful, users retrieved and created.
But when one of LDAP users trying to authenticate with his LDAP credentials, it got "Authentication failed" message.
In /var/log/proxmox-backup/api/auth.log we see
Code:
2024-03-11T17:58:14+03:00: authentication failure; rhost=[::ffff:1.2.3.4]:65509 user=username@domain.local msg=found multiple users with attribute `uid=username`
Am i missing something in LDAP configuration?
Can you point me in right direction?

Hi,

how did you configure the realm? Can you show us the content of /etc/proxmox-backup/domains.cfg?

/etc/proxmox-backup/domains.cfg
Code:
ldap: domain.local
        base-dn dc=domain,dc=local
        bind-dn uid=proxmox_backup_ldap,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=local
        filter (memberof=cn=proxmox_backup_admins,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=local)
        mode ldap
        server1 freeipa1.domain.local
        server2 freeipa2.domain.local
        user-attr uid

Tcpdump'ed ldap traffic and found that server responds with two searchRes Entry:
one - uid=username,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=domain,dc=local
and two - uid=username,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=local
Should i refine base-dn or filter?

Digged more deep and found that Proxmox Backup server behavior with two searchResEntry differs from Proxmox VE.

Proxmox VE accepts LDAP login with with two searchResEntry results, then make bind with
uid=username,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=domain,dc=local

Proxmox Backup Server showing different behavior - reports "Authentication failed", and not try to
make bind with uid=username,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=domain,dc=local

Hi,

how did you configure the realm? Can you show us the content of /etc/proxmox-backup/domains.cfg?
I've posted my config and some things found during investigation. Can you share some ideas what to do further?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!