Password issue (system issue with password recognition)

nyquist

Aug 7, 2013
Hi there,

I'm pretty new with Proxmox. I installed my system following this guide.

A couple of weeks ago, I got unable to login as root on my system. I did not change the root password at all.. but I thought there was a possibility that it got locked (weird to get root account locked... but.. who knows). Following this other guide, I changed the root password and after a reboot I was able to login as root again (by ssh and web console too).

Today, I decided to make some changes in the system configuration and I found I'm not being able to connect the host by SSH, again.

I'm now really sure I'm not making a mistake by typing wrong passwords.
I was able to connect to the server with root account a couple of days ago.

Fortunately, last time I reset root's password by booting to a sh, then I created a privileged account (Administrator Role) within Proxmox in order to avoid those annoying situations again. I also noticed that by accessing Proxmox with the administrator account (VE authenticated), I got a "change password" button enabled when clicking the root account under the Users tab. The problem is that I get "Permission check failed (403)" error when trying to reset root's password through the web console with my admin user.

I can't reboot my host right now, so I did not have a chance to take a look at the logs yet.

Some system information:
Intel Server Board S5520HC
2 x Intel Xeon E5540
DDR3 1333 RAM
Running Debian 7.1.0 Wheezy 64bit (net/minimal install, up to date).
Proxmox Virtual Environment Version: 3.0-23/957f0862 (with the latest kernel update available by apt-get from this repository "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve").

In the meantime, is there a known issue which could be causing this? Any ideas?

Regards,
Nyquist

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!