Password fails on new install

LoganLee

Sep 12, 2021
Hi All

I am new to proxmox and installed for the first time on my Toshiba satellite i5.

I changed the boot order and disabled secure boot. The process went fine. The machine restarted and told me to login from another web browser which I could partially do.

I got the username and password prompt. I used the word root and tried put in the password but it says login failed. So I went back to the pc and tried to login there, I use "root" and the pw and I can login there, I get to "root@proxmox: ~#" which I assume is correct.

I am also not familiar with terminal/linux commands so I assume the above is correct. beyond this I am not sure what to do. there is no pw reset on the browser. And I am not familiar with terminal mode on the host machine.

Any ideas?

Also for some reason although the boot order is still usb then hdd it will not load from usb. I thought maybe start again but it didn't work, I then tried using ubuntu and linux but the PC does not boot from USB anymore. I assume that is a proxmox thing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I got the username and password prompt. I used the word root and tried put in the password but it says login failed. So I went back to the pc and tried to login there, I use "root" and the pw and I can login there, I get to "root@proxmox: ~#" which I assume is correct.

Are you sure that you are using Linux PAM standard authentication in the Proxmox VE login web page?

Hi yes, I didn't change anything else. I just figured out the login issue. I used symbols for the password and they are different from the keyboard I was using.

I changed pw without symbols and can now login.

I still have the issue of why I cannot boot from usb though to another bistro? it just boots straight to hdd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!