Passthrough USB tuner and missing packets

pdionisis

Aug 31, 2019
Hello
I use a proxmox server at my home server using a Skylake 4 core i5 with 24GB ram and SSD as root
I try to pass through a USB tv tuner (Avermedia Ultra USB m039) to a windows VM (tried both win7 and win10)

The USB tuner is shown at windows fine, drivers installed , but when I install Mediaportal TV server I see
many "discontinuities" at timeshiftifting .
The Tv server saves the TV stream at the SSD (VM disk) in order to stream it to the client PCs.
During this "procedure" many packets are lost (discontinuities) and the signal comes distorted to the clients.

The same thing works fine when I install it at bare metal at the same machine.
(actually it only needs to save and forward a single TV stream of only 4-5mbits)

I think something happens with high latency and the usb tuner can not get enough priority writing to disk or something
and some packets are missing.

The server is idle and nothing more works at the same time (actually only a mikrotik virtual router with almost
zero traffic).
Hard disks are idle

Any help?

Last edited:
I "fixed" it by-passing the problem
I passed through the whole USB pci controller

The only problem is that all the USB devices of the server must be at a single VM (where the PCI-e USB root hub is passed)

I can not pass one USB device to one VM and another USB device to another VM

Passthrough circles straightforwardly to a virtual machine, or use proxmox as the host for a nfs share facilitated from those plates (more secure)

High latency and small hick-ups with passthrough of a USB port is a problem that I have also run into. I have a USB keyboard that regularly loses a key press. In my experience, it helps if you enable USB3 even when the port and/or device is only USB 2.0. I run my USB TV-tuner inside a container (instead of a VM) using Linux MythTV-server and bypass the problem that way, but I'm not sure if that is an option for you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!