Passthrough TPM

wsandiego

Nov 28, 2022
Hi, is there a way to create a VM and "passthrough" the TPM chip from the CPU/motherboard to it?
This is a newbie question so maybe I'm misunderstanding how crypto/certificates work, but here is my need:
I have a GlobalSign code-signing certificate which is supposed to be installed "in the TPM chip". I don't know exactly how this works, but I know it works.
However, I believe it needs a Windows OS to do so. Obviously I cannot do it with Proxmox, so I need to do it from a Windows VM, but I have to make sure the certificate I'm going to install in Windows VM will be saved in the real hardware, so it can be accessible from other VMs as well.

Is there such a feature to "passthrough" TPM to the Windows VM?

Maybe an emulated TPM is a better approach? You don't want to lock yourself out of Proxmox with the real one.
It would be better, if I could share such storage between VMs. The problem here is that I install a certificate in an emulated TPM attached to a VM, and then I'd like to use the same certificate in another VM (for example, two different build servers).

That's why I considered trying to passthrough the host TPM to multiple VMs.

Is it possible to use a single virtual TPM storage in two or more different VMs?

Is it possible to use a single virtual TPM storage in two or more different VMs?
Sorry to necro an old thread - did you ever figure this out? I'm interested in this as well.

I'm pretty sure that passthrough works with only one VM running at a time, but maybe Proxmox is able to use the physical TPM module as underlying vTPM storage?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!