Passthrough questions

Navy2k

Sep 23, 2021
Hi,

I want to pass through some devices to different machines.
First, some info:

Code:
08:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901] (rev 51)
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci
09:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901] (rev 51)
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci

I want to pass through only the 09:00:0 one of these 2 onboard Sata controllers.
I have already passed through a i350, a 10Gig card and a nvme cache to various VMs:

Code:
/etc/modules:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci ids=8086:1521,1043:874a,c0a9:540a
vfio_virqfd

/etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf:
softdep igb pre: vfio-pci
softdep atlantic: vfio-pci
softdep nvme: vfio-pci
options vfio-pci ids=8086:1521
options vfio-pci ids=1043:874a
options vfio-pci ids=c0a9:540a

But how do you specify only the one ID?
I found some explanations but they all were incredibly complex with bash scripts in multiple places? Is this really the way to go?

Thanks in advance.
Ben

Yes, you need to unbind and rebind the devices manually. The "complex bash script" is really not that bad:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
DEVICE="08:00.0"
echo "$DEVICE" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ahci/unbind
echo "$DEVICE" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/bind

That should do it, change DEVICE to the PCI address of the SATA controller you want to pass through. Run this after startup, either via a hookscript before your VM starts or simply after boot via a systemd service or my personal favourite, an @reboot entry in your root crontab.

Hi,

Just to be clear, this is instead of blacklisting and the /etc/modules entry for the hardware ID?

best regards,
Ben

Yes. Blacklisting the ahci driver would render *all* your SATA controllers useless for the host (PVE), and specifying the PCI id in vfio-pci.ids would auto-load vfio-pci and you would need to do the unbind/bind dance I posted in reverse to load the ahci driver again.

Also, looking at your posted config, it is wrong. /etc/modules may *only* contain module names, no parameters. So remove the ids=... part from there. However, you got the format correct, which is how it should be specified in /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf, instead of it being on multiple lines (the latter *might* work as well, not sure, but I've only ever seen it in one line).

Thanks for the heads up, IDs are indeed configured twice...

The syntax in /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf works and I like it because in the experimentation phase I can add or remove for example the 2nd line from both sections (softdep and options) whithoud the need to check the coresponding ID for each driver.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!