Passthrough problems from a clueless Windows guy

Jay Hova

Oct 20, 2020
Houston, Texas
www.softunderbelly.com
I am building a machine as a virtual Windows workstation for the purpose of editing 360° video. Part of that process involves stitching together video frames from four separate cameras. In order to get this to work, I needed to connect some hardware to the VM. I initially tried to get a 1080ti card to work but had problems. after playing around I was able to get a 2070 super card to work. However, as I wanted more memory for the application I settled on a Quadro M6000 w/ 12GB. However, both the 2070 and the M6000 had certain problems.
  • The VM was no longer viewable from the console in the Proxmox main web interface and I had to RDP into the VM to get anything.
  • The Windows desktop acts like a second monitor i.e. there is no search interface on the taskbar
  • The stitching software does not display video. The Insta360 stitching software has a preview window built-in and this window is blank rather than filled with an image of the video being rendered.
This last one is a real problem as the software is just about useless if I am unable to see the video being rendered.

I am very new to Proxmox and was not the one who set up the system. Unfortunately, I also don't really know how to export the settings so you guys can see them. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

You're probably using x-vga=on in your config, this will redirect the video output to your M6000, plugging in a monitor to your card should give you the console of your vm.
To get console in proxmox however you will have to disable the x-vga=on, this should give you two screens (one from console and one from M6000) which you can mirror in windows settings to get 3d accelerated video but keep the console from the webgui.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!