Passthrough power usage

brb88

Dec 11, 2017
Does anyone know if a passed through gpu pulls power when it's VM is turned off?

Yes, it always does, yet I cannot say how much - maybe negligible, depending on the graphics card and the state the graphics card was in as the guest has been shut down. Best would be to load the driver of the card after the VM has shut down and enable power savings.

If the card has a fan, it is not controllable without a driver and it runs, so it draws power. Fans draw a lot of power. If they're spinning fast, they can reach the same amount than other components. Last week we had a cooling outage in a customer data center and the power usage on a server doubled as all 6 fans ran at full speed. Never seen something like that.

What about not shutting down the VM and enable power savings inside of the guest for the card. Best would be to test you card, because every vendor can implement whatever they want in their cards. I read about the shine new ASUS ROG cards that work perfectly silent on Windows, but the fans cannot be controlled in Linux and they're roaring at full speed, always.

Any option that would keep my total power low when not using the vm would be great.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!