Passthrough physical disk with original id?

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to passthrough physical disks to a VM keeping the original disk id?

When I passthrough a physical disk it shows up as, e.g. scsi-0QEMU_QEMU_HARDDISK_drive-xyz1 instead of under its id in the host system.

The reason why I am asking is that I am trying to virtualize an Unraid NAS which, while I have passed through all its disks, complains that its disks are missing - because they have different ids in the VM.

So is it possible to keep the id when passing through a disk?

I am assuming that passing through the entire controller would keep the ids but that is only the second best option as I would then have to buy an additional controller.

Thanks

Keep in mind that they are still kind of virtualized with the virtio SCSI controllerin the middle causing overhead if you don't PCI passthrough a dedicated HBA. A second hand 8x SATA professional HBA incl cables can be bought for as less then 40€.

Last edited:
That's true. My experience with passing through disks on another host is, however, that it still is very fast and the virtualization penalty is not too high for me to accept.
I did get unraid to accept the old disks under a new name so the original problem is solved.
Nevertheless, I did buy a new sata controller and now am waiting for it to arrive. (And I will be swapping out unraid for openmediavault.)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!