Passing unformatted NVMe SSD to Windows VM - Noobie help

BeGaDaButcher

Nov 9, 2020
Hello Proxmox community,

Firstly need to declare that I am fresh to Proxmox but loving it so far!

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on how to pass though a unformatted/blank NVMe SSD to my Windows 2019 VM to manage. IE for the VM to see it as a additional HDD and let it format the drive.

Description of my system:
  • Proxmox and VM installed on a 120GB SATA M.2.
  • Unused NVMe 120GB SSD I want to completely pass onto the VM to manage (IE native NTFS - so if the VM/Host goes down I can just plug the Nvme into a windows system and browse its files)
  • 6x 3TB HDD's of different models and makes running RaidZ2 as a network based storage solution. Not applicable for this VM or the query above but want to mention it for context and why I might be getting confused as my /de/disk/by-id/ is big.
  • VM is up and running with no issues
  • The NVMe I want to pass through was formatted with GParted - unallocated before setting up the Proxmox host
Here is my datacentre storage UI:
1604902061362.png

My by-id:
1604902732393.png

My VM config file:
1604902297881.png

Tried adding the drive via the GUI but guessing I need to add it via the shell.

1604902501627.png

Is it as easy as adding a line within the VM config to add the additional drive?

Thought I would ask as the host, RAIDZ2 share and VM are working perfectly right now so don't want to make a mistake.

Noob stuff I am sure but I really appreciate your time and help!

Cheers,
JKN

Attachments

• 1604902203807.png
    1604902203807.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hey,

1604910219713.png

there you should then be able to select the NVMe. You might have to remove it from storage of the node and probably reboot.

Hey,

View attachment 21066

there you should then be able to select the NVMe. You might have to remove it from storage of the node and probably reboot.
G'Day Hannes,

Thanks for your reply! PCI...of course...

Anyway that lead me to find that IOMMU was not detected --- was set in BIOS but not the modules. Once I fixed that I had another run at Physical Disk to KVM and understood the examples better and managed to pass it through to the VM!

Formatted and accessible within the VM now without issue!

Thanks!

1604920195523.png

1604920280286.png

Attachments

• 1604914550192.png
    1604914550192.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Hannes Laimer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!