Partitioning approach for ceph cluster installation on single SSD drive

f1shboll

Sep 12, 2024
Hello folks, totally new to proxmox clustering and just recently got 2 mini pcs for a home lab. As I was setting up the ceph cluster installation when I got to creating the osd, i couldn't target any disks as the single 1TB SSD I have is in use by proxmox. I followed the default configs for setting up the proxmox for both of my PCs. I tried to do the ZFS pool approach too and i still couldn't find the disk.
1726217869741.png

I'm planning to do a re-install using the ISO and my question is:
  • Are there any ways to partition my single SSD drive in such a way that I could use the remaining partition for either ZFS or Ceph?
  • Or Do I need another drive to configure the storage cluster?

Apologies if I'm asking newbie questions as I'm very new to these storage clustering concepts.

Below is a screenshot of my current partition
1726217834936.png

Last edited:
Seems like there's no way we can target unallocated partition of the disk to be inside a ZFS or Ceph pool. For the newbies like me whose searching this forum, hope this helped. You will need to get an external hard disk attached to your mini pc for storage cluster creation. I just did a reinstall on my 2nd mini pc with half of the space unallocated to try and install both ZFS and Ceph. Has about 120GB free space.
1726228924893.png

Was not able to create OSD for ceph or ZFS.
1726228990793.png

Last edited:
AFAIR you have to create the partition beforehand and while unused you can select it from the GUI. You can also use the CLI (make sure you pass the proper device/partition):

Code:
ceph-volume lvm create --bluestore --data /dev/nvmeXnYpZ [--crush-device-class CLASE]

BTW is very bad idea to use a two node cluster, specially for Ceph. Yes, even for a home lab ;) Try to get a third node asap and add it to the cluster. I you just want to practice, use nested virtualization and create a PVE + Ceph cluster using VMs in one PVE host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!