[SOLVED] Partition disk sda?

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on what im trying to do. Currently having Dell t130 with 4X500Gigs Raid10 gives me a virtual disk of 1tb total. The idea is to create another Directory for which i can put the ISO folders, quick vm backups etc. Currently the root folder is 93.99gigs and the LVM-Thin (vm storage) is 812.26Gigs

Would I

A) Format again (as its a test lab) and during the installation change the hardisk options to ext4 HD size 700gigs which would automatically create the local storage and the LVM-thin and would have left around 250 gigs to create another local storage name it backups

B) Try to shrink the LVM-thin and then create another local storage name it backups

If i would format proxmox and configure as above would i need to create another sda? as the current format is
See picture

Thank you

Attachments

• Clipboarder.2017.08.27-013.png
    Clipboarder.2017.08.27-013.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Clipboarder.2017.08.27-014.png
    Clipboarder.2017.08.27-014.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 23
Both are ways to do it. A, is more time and effort then B. The setup guides you through and there you can change the partition size. Also you could go and add a external NFS server to hold those ISO & backup images. This way the backup would not be on the same machine and could be easier restored once the machine may be broken.

Reactions: killmasta93
Thanks for the reply, as your right I just ended up formatting, it gave proxmox 1tb, then after created another partition sda4 then formatted it for linux and attach it to the storage container.

Dont want to necro post, but just out of curiosity on the partition table, would there be a way to partition 1tb disk 500gigs LVM-thin and the other 500gigs as a normal directory? Im guessing not because its not ext4? or whats the best next thing of LVM-thin that would partition with a normal directory

Thank you

LVM manages the volumes you create, it doesn't really care if you use it raw or put a filesystem ontop of it. Be aware not everything can be used with LVM-thin.

Thanks for the reply, as i will create another post for this curiosity so i don't negro post :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!